Climate change is likely to become the biggest global healthcare threat of this century.1 While respiratory care has a relatively small impact on climate change,2,3 we all need to consider how we might adjust our behaviour and help the planet.
WE ARE NOT STANDING STILL
In the face of a global climate crisis, we must all share the burden of action. All aspects of our industry recognise their environmental responsibility and are making commitments to do better.4
At Chiesi, we don’t have a single solution to sustainability; we have many. And at the heart of everything we do is protecting patients and the planet. We are proud to have taken decisive and ambitious action to ensure people can continue to access the therapeutic options that best suit their needs, whilst innovating to find more environmentally conscious solutions.5 People should not have to shoulder the burden of environmental responsibility when considering treatment options that affect their health.
Doing the right thing is part of our DNA
As the largest global B Corp® certified pharmaceutical company, we are serious about behaviour change.6 We consider our sustainability journey as an ongoing process and we are always improving and setting tougher goals.
We aim to become carbon neutral by 2035 through reducing:6
- Direct greenhouse gas emissions generated, and the emissions associated with the purchase of electricity and heat by 50% by 2030, compared to 2019
- Greenhouse gas emissions per unit of inhaled products sold by 80% by 2030, compared to 2019
- Absolute greenhouse gas emissions from the use of sold products by 90% by 2035, compared to 2019
THERE IS MORE TO COME
To reach NHS carbon targets by 20307 and to achieve our own ambitious goals, long-term and powerful carbon reduction solutions are needed. To that end, we are continuously working to develop these solutions, so we can do our part in protecting people, the NHS and our planet.
Our approach to sustainability may surprise you.
- Costello A, et al. Lancet. 2009; 373: 1693–1733.
- Panigone S, et al. On Drug Delivery. 2020; 106: 14–19.
- Starup-Hansen J, et al. Pharmacol Res Perspect. 2020; e00675.
- End-to-End Sustainable pMDI Forum agenda. 20–22 Sep 2021.
- Chiesi. Chiesi outlines €350 million investment and announces first carbon minimal pressurised Metered Dose Inhaler (pMDI) for Asthma and COPD. Available at: https://www.chiesi.com/en/chiesi-outlines-350-million-investment-and-announces-first-carbon-minimal-pressurised-metered-dose-inhaler-pmdi-for-asthma-and-copd/.
- Every story counts. Chiesi Annual & Sustainability Report 2020. Available at: https://www.chiesi.com/en/flipbook.php?url=https://www.chiesi.com/img/annual_report/documenti/44_20210623_chiesi_report_long_eng_def_july_ld.pdf.
- NHS Business Services Authority. NHS Business Services Authority declares climate emergency and sets to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. Available at: https://media.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/news/nhs-business-services-authority-declares-climate-emergency-and-sets-to-achieve-net-zero-greenhouse-gas-emissions-by-2030#.